[Openstack-operators] Metering/Ceilometer with a public Swift cluster

David Moreau Simard dmsimard at iweb.com
Tue Jun 3 13:43:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am trying to retrieve metering/billing information for Swift with the help of Ceilometer.

Considering Swift’s throughout, the cluster was made entirely public while the management and controller nodes (keystone, message bus, database backends, ceilometer-collector, ceilometer-agent-central, etc) are entirely behind firewalls.
ceilometer-agent-central has no issues retrieving it’s meters since the connection is being initiated from inside the high-security network.

We do expose a very-restricted set of external endpoints for Swift and other third party applications so that they can, for instance, authenticate against keystone and use the various other APIs (including ceilometer).

Now, the Ceilometer Swift middleware can publish samples either to the message bus, by UDP to a ceilometer-collector or dumped to a file.
* Opening a path in the network to the message bus is not an option due to network security considerations
* I'm not entirely convinced of the reliability and security of publishing by UDP over WAN (ex: UDP Spoofing)
* Publishing to a file requires additional mechanisms to retrieve and publish the samples entered in the file

I guess my question is two fold.
* Is there anyone using Ceilometer metering with a public Swift infrastructure and if so, how are you doing it ?
* According to what I’ve seen, at least one sample is generated for each and every API call:
** Should I be worried at all about the network throughput this will generate down the road, considering that the samples will ultimately have to go through the firewalls one way or another ?

Thanks in advance for your insight !

David Moreau Simard