[Openstack-operators] Several openstack nova daemons refuse to start after a reboot

Jeff Silverman jeff at sweetlabs.com
Wed Jul 30 19:04:03 UTC 2014

I had several openstack daemons running properly after going through the
set up process.  I decided to reboot the machine (because it's going to
reboot sooner or later and I wanted to find out what would go wrong before
we pressed the system into production).  Several of the daemons don't start
properly.  In all cases, there is an error message in the log files of the
form:

2014-07-30 10:56:57.349 878 CRITICAL nova [-] ProcessExecutionError:
Unexpected error while running command.
Command: sudo nova-nn /etc/nova/rootwrap.conf iptables-save -c
Exit code: 1
Stdout: ''
Stderr: 'sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified\n'

I have googled the error message and I find several items of advice, all of
which I have taken and none of which have resolved my issue:

   - Remove the defaults requiretty from the /etc/sudoers file.  I have
   done both #Defaults requiretty and Defaults !requiretty  and tried
   again.  No joy.
   - I added the following line to nova.conf:
   root_helper=sudo nova-rootwrap
   no joy, there, either.
   - Interestingly enough, if I give the command
   sudo nova-rootwrap /etc/nova/rootwrap.conf iptables-save -c
   from the command line as user root, then it works.
   - I notice that user nova is in /etc/passwd with shell /bin/nologin.  I
   assume that that's there for a reason, so I am reluctant to change it.
   - If I give the command
   sudo nova-nn whoami
   I get:
   sudo: nova-nn: command not found
   -

I am open to additional suggestions.  I am running on Centos 6.5

--
*Jeff Silverman*
Systems Engineer