[Openstack-operators] [OpenStack-Operators] [Cinder] Request for input on new/advanced features

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Sat Jul 26 14:28:54 UTC 2014

Hey OS-Operators,

There are some features that have been kicked around and debated for a
while now that I thought it might be great to try and solicit input from
folks that are actually deploying and administering OpenStack.  Rather than
leaving it up to those of us that may be in a "Vendor Vacuum" or a "Dev
Vacuum" I thought it might be worthwhile to get some input.

Cinder is getting to a point where people are proposing more advanced
features which is great.  The problem is that those advanced features
typically mean different things to everyone and they also open up the door
to a whole host of implementation options.

There are two features being worked on currently that I'd love to get some
feedback on:

1. Replication
2. Consistency Groups

It's easy for Vendors to come to me and say "we have lots of customers
asking for this" but personally I'd love to get feedback directly from the
actual customers, that's where you all come in.

So, if any of you out there are interested in these topics from a Cinder
perspective I'd love to hear from you.  If there's interest we can either
start an ML thread to discuss, or perhaps a meeting to catch everybody up
and hash things out a bit.  I'd like to discuss the current proposals and
go through what you as Operators may feel should be priorities (or better
yet things you don't care about).  I make no promises on the outcome of
this little experiment but thought it would be interesting to try and get
user input up front before we release new features.

Let me know your thoughts, I'll avoid a bunch of detail in this posting
until I get a feel for who if anybody is interested in helping out.

Thanks,
John