[Openstack-operators] Speed of the Horizon dashboard

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 14:16:41 UTC 2014

On 07/23/2014 11:28 AM, Dan Radez wrote:
> On 07/22/2014 05:38 AM, Robert van Leeuwen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The Horizon dashboard does not seem to be particularly fast.
>> We are running in uwsgi with quite a lot of threads (16) but its not that fast:
>>
>> Switching between views (eg. to instance or volume view) can easily take 8-10 seconds.
>> Doing a nova list with the commandline tools takes about 2 seconds, this suggests something related to dashboard.
>> (This tenant has less then 50 machines)
>>
>> Is this "normal/accepted" dashboard speed?
>> Any tips to improve this?
>>
>> Thx,
>> Robert van Leeuwen
>>
> On TryStack we were able to speed up the dashboard by tuning keystone,
> the token ttl should be reduced to a few hours, I think we used 3 and we
> added memcached to store the tokens.
>
> The slow down for us was looking up tokens in a database that was full
> of tokens that had not expired. You may need to expire all the old
> tokens to get the benefit of this.

Token handling in Horizon is converting PKI(Z) tokens into UUID-like
tokens.  THis only made sense when there was no memcache on Horizon, but
is not a good long term approach.  I'm reworking this, so that Horizon
plays well with tokens, uses sessions, and can use pluggable Auth
(Kerberos and the like)