[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [Glance] Anyone using owner_is_tenant = False with image members?

Scott Devoid devoid at anl.gov
Thu Jul 24 16:48:08 UTC 2014

So it turns out that fixing this issue is not very simple. It turns out
that there are stubbed out openstack.common.policy checks in the glance-api
code, which are pretty much useless because they do not use the image as a
target. [1] Then there's a chain of API / client calls where it's unclear
who is responsible for validating ownership: python-glanceclient ->
glance-api -> glance-registry-client -> glance-registry-api ->
glance.db.sqlalchemy.api. Add to that the fact that request IDs are not
consistently captured along the logging path [2] and it's a holy mess.

I am wondering...
1. Has anyone actually set "owner_is_tenant" to false? Has this ever been
tested?
2. From glance developers, what kind of permissions / policy scenarios do
you actually expect to work?

Right now we have one user who consistently gets an empty 404 back from
"nova image-list" because glance-api barfs on a single image and gives up
on the entire API request...and there are no non-INFO/DEBUG messages in
glance logs for this. >:-/

~ Scott

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1346648
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1336958