[Openstack-operators] Windows VM overlay out of control

Samuel Winchenbach swinchen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 14:31:53 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Recently I noticed one of the qcow2 disk overlays for a windows vm has
grown, unbounded, for several months.  The disk size for the VM is 40GB but
the overlay files has grown to 16TB since early April.   I logged into the
console and noticed the VM was stuck in a reboot-loop (no valid boot
media).   It looks like there was possible disk corruption.

I manually mounted one of the disk images and found it was using ~16GB of
the 16TB.  fdisk -l did show the disk was 16TB.

Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks,
Sam