[Openstack-operators] RabbitMQ HA

Stephen Gran stephen.gran at theguardian.com
Fri Jan 31 11:16:00 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 31/01/14 09:27, Papaspyrou, Alexander wrote:
> Subbu,
>
> we are running on RMQ 3.2 with server-side HA policy on all OpenStack
> queues.

This seems to be the key - we're also running a newer version of rabbit
than is available in stock ubuntu 12.04, and we've seen no problems so
far (knock wood).

> Even with two Rabbit servers dispersed over two sufficiently distant
> data centers (different subnets, different locations, connected via
> fibre over a number of routers), and besides network partitions here and
> there (which RMQ fixes automatically most of the time, if configured
> properly), our setup runs like a charm. Hardware is negligible; RMQ
> almost never goes beyond a GB or so of memory usage, and the CPU is
> usually bored to death.
>
> We found the DRBD setup much more flaky and rather cumbersome to setup,
> and frankly, I never understood why people happen to take the dark alley
> Linux-HA. If you want, you can put ldirectord in front of the two boxes
> to balance the load (we did that, although from a performance
> perspective, this is not necessary). ldirectord also detects whether one
> of the boxes is out to lunch (which never happened so far), and reroutes
> the traffic automatically.
>
> To be really sure, put a corosync/pacemaker-managed failover (virtual)
> IP in front of the two boxes, and run
> corosync/pacemaker/ldirectord/rabbitmq on each box, with properly
> configured VIP transportation – that’s where I’d invest the effort to
> dive into the details of Linux HA glory.

Most of the services can now be configured with a list of rabbit
servers, so most of this becomes unnecessary - the clients will just
reconnect to another host in the cluster if something goes wrong.

Cheers,
--
Stephen Gran
Senior Systems Integrator - theguardian.com

On your mobile, download the Guardian iPhone app theguardian.com/iphone and our iPad edition theguardian.com/iPad
Save up to 57% by subscribing to the Guardian and Observer - choose the papers you want and get full digital access.
Visit subscribe.theguardian.com

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also
be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify
the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately.
Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use
the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.

Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer
viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this
e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited

A member of Guardian Media Group plc
Registered Office
PO Box 68164