[Openstack-operators] How do you keep your test env sync'ed to production?

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Thu Jan 9 17:46:35 UTC 2014

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for the comment. I'm familiar with the TripleO project but never
saw how it could benefit my workflow.

I hesitate to hijack this thread, but I'm quite curious if I'm just not
understanding a key benefit to TripleO.

For our setup with bare-metal, Cobbler does standard PXE booting to apply
an OS image. It then uses bash scripts as a post-install step for any prep
work needed before Puppet takes over. Other benefits of Cobbler include the
ability to PXE boot into a rescue image, memtest image, or disk wipe
utility. Cobbler also acts as a hardware inventory for us.

On the virtualized side, Vagrant handles everything that Cobbler+post
install does.

Once either one reaches Puppet, the same configuration is used.

When I read through the TripleO documentation, I see references to having
to build images, bootstrap nodes, use Heat, etc. These would all be extra
steps and components that I currently don't need, plus I think I'd be lose
some features. In addition, it it looks like the TripleO workflow is
specific to building OpenStack environments. The components that I
currently use (Cobbler, Vagrant, Puppet) are all transferrable to other
areas.

But maybe I'm not getting TripleO?

Thanks,
Joe