[Openstack-operators] Neutron and linuxbridge

Édouard Thuleau thuleau at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 14:01:22 UTC 2014

Some inline comments.

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Joe Topjian <joe at topjian.net> wrote:

> Hi Édouard,
>
> Thank you for the info. Please see inline.
>
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Édouard Thuleau <thuleau at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> Which version of the Linux kernel do you use? Do you need to set
>> multicast on your fabric?
>>

> I'm using 3.11 in Ubuntu 12.04.4. I'm also using a newer version of
> iproute2 from this ppa:
> https://launchpad.net/~dirk-computer42/+archive/c42-backport
>
> AFAIK, I don't require multicast. Is there a good reason or use of
> multicast at the cloud/infrastructure level?

The first Linux VXLAN implementation used multicast to emulate a virtual
broadcast domain. That was the VXLAN recommendation designed on first
drafts. But VXLAN doesn't need multicast anymore and the 3.11 Linux kernel
release also.

> We worked in Havana to improve the overlay propagation on the fabric and
>> we made a mechanism driver for the ML2 plugin called 'l2-pop' (one bug
>> still persist on H [1]). Did you use it?
>>

> I'm using the linuxbridge mechanism driver at the moment. I'm unable to
> find any documentation on the l2pop driver. Could you explain what it is
> and why I should use it?

Here the blueprint design document
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sUrvOQ9GIl9IWMGg3qbx2mX0DdXvMiyvCw2Lm6snaWQ/edit,
good blog post
http://assafmuller.wordpress.com/2013/10/14/gre-tunnels-in-openstack-neutron/
and
associated FOSDEM presentation
http://bofh.nikhef.nl/events/FOSDEM//2014/UD2120_Chavanne/Sunday/Tunnels_as_a_Connectivity_and_Segregation_Solution_for_Virtualized_Networks.webm
(thanks
to Assaf Muller). The post are OVS oriented but it interesting to
understand the objectives of l2-pop mechanism driver.

Just, to precise, in ML2 plugin you can set more than one MD and mix them.
The l2-pop MD requires at least the LB or OVS MD to work and it works only
with GRE or VXLAN type drivers.

>> In my opinion, the LB agent with VXLAN is very simpler (no flows, kernel
>> integrated, 1 bridge = 1 network, netfilter aware...) and as effective than
>> OVS agent. And I think, it's more stable than OVS.
>>

> Speaking of flows, a topic that has come up in discussion is the use of
> OVS, OpenStack, and OpenFlow. We have some network guys who are getting
> into OpenFlow, OpenDaylight et al. With the current Neutron OVS
> implementation, is it incorrect to say that there is no way to take
> advantage of a higher level of network control at the moment? Meaning: it
> seems to me like the OVS implementation is simply being used as a complex
> drop-in replacement of the linux bridge system.

No, the OVS neutron implementation cannot permit to use a higher network
control. For that, you need to implement a new ML2 MD to pilot your OVS/OF
controller (as it done by plugin NEC, MD ODL...).