[Openstack-operators] Small openstack

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 23:31:46 UTC 2014

Report on progress so far:

I was able to fix policies (nova/neutron) to allow tennants to plug to
'own' external networks, found and report few bugs about error messaging
in ML2, got working dhcp-agent (on external network! haha). Right now it
works with cirros (even metadata is ok), but does not work with other
cloud images, because some issues with metadata. I will continue to
debug it. It was done with flat networking for single tenant
(proof-of-concept), but I hope vlan/vxlan stuff is possible to for
multiple tenants.

Up to now it looks really great from infrastructure (ops) point of view:
no SPoF on networks nodes, no NAT, no confusing local addresses with
floatings. Each instance receive white IP and use it as it is. All
routing is offloaded to network hardware. Cool oldstyle robust
networking, less non-computing (not paying) hosts, less moving parts. It
may be not so great from point of view of 'bleeding edge' part of
openstack (heat/LB/etc), but I do not want my infrastructure to bleed...

I love that thing and I to stick to it.

Updates will follow.