[Openstack-operators] Small openstack

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 21:03:38 UTC 2014

On 12/21/2014 10:42 AM, Xav Paice wrote:
> On 21/12/14 11:16, George Shuklin wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I've suddenly got request for small installation of openstack (about
>> 3-5 computes).
>>
>> They need almost nothing (just a management panel to span simple
>> instances, few friendly tennants), and I curious, is nova-network good
>> solution for this? They don't want network node and do 'network node
>> on compute' is kinda sad.
>>
>> (And one more: did anyone tried to put management stuff on compute
>> node in mild production?)
>>
> The cost of a physical server for network and management functions isn't
> that high, surely?  Or is it the single point of failure they're trying
> to avoid with not wanting a network node?
>
> What's the strategy for storage on a small cluster like that - I'd be
> looking closely at Ceph shared with the compute nodes, but some places
> already have a SAN that wants to be used.

It's really mild in requirements.
Downtime of management is not issue at all, and databases are planned
for replication between two hosts. Storage/SAN is always pain point, and
after some thoughts we decide do it without volumes at all (only root
disks). It not default configuration, but it allow natural independence
of compute node (compare to single point of failure in case of SAN).
Ceph brings very large overhead on drive (x6 for 3-copy), and high
burden on CPU.

It is small installation and spending too much resources on
non-computing part is not an option. 'No neutron' is just way to save
resources on network node and gre/vxlan overhead.