[Openstack-operators] Packaging sample config versions

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 01:33:10 UTC 2014

On 12/15/2014 10:49 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> and ubuntu just put files
>> in proper places without changing configs.
> Ahem... Ubuntu simply doesn't care much about config files. See what
> they ship for Nova and Cinder. I wouldn't say "without changing configs"
> in this case.
>
>> We using chef for
>> configuration, so ubuntu approach is better
> It's not better or worse, it's exactly the same as for Debian, as the
> Debian package will *never* change something you modified in a config
> file, as per Debian policy (if they do, then it's a bug you shall report
> to the tracker).
Thank you.

It's rather unexpected, but I'll take this in account for next
installation. I'm not a big fan of ubuntu maintanance policy (they
basically dropped it 2 month prior announced date), and I prefer use of
debian where possible. Now I see it's ok with openstack too, and it's
good. I think is some kind of implicit FUD, because I was absolutely
sure that Canonical/RH packaging and Debian is far in the tail of the
process. It is not true and I'm happy.
>> Anyway, I'm ready to help but have no idea how (within my limits).
> Do you have any experience building 3rd party CIs on OpenStack infra?

Nope. I've only done stuff with debian-jenkins-glue. But I have some
experience on backporting patches from icehouse to havana (it still in
production and still need fixes). I can research/fix something specific
and local.