[Openstack-operators] Packaging sample config versions

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at iweb.com
Tue Dec 9 15:14:05 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-08 11:01 PM, Kris G. Lindgren wrote:

>   I don’t think its too much to ask for each project to include a script
> that will build a venv that includes tox and the other relevant deps to
> build the sample configuration.

This is already the case. Back then, I did the work of documenting how
you could generate the sample config files for each projects (I cared
about):
http://blog.mgagne.ca/generating-sample-config-files-in-openstack/

You can see that the process isn't streamlined. Each project has its own
particularities. Some projects don't use the (un)official standard "tox
-egenconfig" command, I patched some projects to make it less a pain.

And my thoughts about sample config files:
http://blog.mgagne.ca/where-are-the-sample-config-files/

I wrote it after Cinder proposed removing its sample config file. They
abandoned the patch at that time but now sample config file is gone.

It's not an easy problem because core libraries used by OpenStack
projects also use oslo.config and configs required by those libraries
are part of the main configurations required for a project to even work.
([database]/connection for instance) You just can't ignore those configs
when generating the sample config file.

(sorry for self-promotion, I didn't want to rewrite my thoughts on this
list)

--
Mathieu