[Openstack-operators] consolidation options for nova scheduler

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 15:01:11 UTC 2014

Good day.

I can't find any options for nova scheduler to consolidate new instances
on few hosts instead of 'spreading' them on all available hosts.

Simple example: let says we has 10 hosts, each host got 10Gb of memory
for instances. We has flavors of 3Gb and 5Gb of RAM. If we run 20 new
instances, they will consume about 6Gb per host and we will not able to
run new instance with 6Gb of RAM (even we have 10*4=40 Gb of free memory
on computes, none of the hosts has more than 4Gb of memory).

Is any nice way to say 'consolidate' to openstack? Thanks!