[Openstack-operators] I have finally created an instance, and it works! However, there is no ethernet card

Jeff Silverman jeff at sweetlabs.com
Fri Aug 15 17:26:50 UTC 2014

By "defined a network space for your instances", does that mean going
through the process as described in
http://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/install-guide/install/yum/content/neutron-ml2-compute-node.html
?

I got part way through that when I realized that the procedure was going to
bridge packets through neutron.  That's not what I want.  I want the
packets to go directly to the physical router.  For example, I have two
tenants, with IP addresses 10.50.15.80/24 and 10.50.18.15.90/24.and the
router is at 10.50.15.1.  There is a nice picture of what I am trying to do
at
http://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ops/content/network_troubleshooting.html#nova_network_traffic_in_cloud
.  But if the hypervisor doesn't present a virtual device to the guests,
then nothing else is going to happen.  The network troubleshooting guide
http://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ops/content/network_troubleshooting.html#nova_network_traffic_in_cloud
does not explain what to do if the virtual NIC is missing.

Thank you

Jeff

*Jeff Silverman*
Systems Engineer