[Openstack-operators] How to define transparent proxy in Neutron

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 06:08:12 UTC 2014

Well, it's bit complicated. Because 'proxy' usually working on L5+
(http,https, ftp,etc). And instances wants pure L3 functionality. For
example, how you expects to 'proxy' NFS connection from instance to
white IP outside your networking? Even if you not plan to do this,
architecture expects to be capable to.

Theoretically you can intercept http/ftp/https traffic on router and
push it to the transparent proxy (google it!). I think this can be done
even on neutron-l3-agent host, but it better to disable network
namespaces and add some hacks to iptables 'for all tenants'.