[Openstack-operators] Quota Templates

Nathanael Burton nathanael.i.burton at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 22:13:47 UTC 2014

On Apr 5, 2014 5:42 PM, "Jay Pipes" <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-04-05 at 14:56 -0600, Joe Topjian wrote:
> > Hi Jay,
> >
> >         The only problem with this is that what happens if an instance
> >         type's
> >         underlying resource allocation changes? Quotas and
> >         reservations
> >         generally need to be on the actual resources that are
> >         consumed, not on
> >         an abstract representation of those resources like an instance
> >         type, due
> >         to the fact that the abstract representation can changes over
> >         time.
> >
> >         My idea about the UI above works nicely with the idea of
> >         changeable
> >         instance types. The UI can do simple real-time calculations
> >         about what a
> >         quota allocation represents in terms of the actual resources
> >         used by an
> >         instance type.
> >

> > Yes, but there is nothing limiting a user to only a set amount of a
> > certain resource in a certain environment.
> >
> > Perhaps I am misunderstanding this discussion, but here is an example
> > scenario of how I see it:
> >
> > I have a small set of compute nodes that are configured in such a way
> > that make them "special" (SSD, GPU, etc). I can put those compute
> > nodes in a host aggregate and tie a series of flavors to that host
> > aggregate.
> >
> > But since there is only one quota that the user has, there is nothing
> > that is preventing a user from hogging a large majority of the those
> > "special" nodes. For example, if a user has a quota of 500 cpus and
> > 800gb of memory, and if the "special" nodes collectively only have
> > 1500 cpus and 2400gb of memory, the user could consume 1/3rd of the
> > special resources.
> >
> > However, if I was able to tie a separate quota to that host aggregate,
> > I could give the user a quota of 50 cpus and 80gb of memory alongside
> > his standard quota of 500/800 for the rest of the cloud.
> >
> > I greatly apologize if this scenario is *not* what Narayan was talking
> > about. In addition, this is not a feature that I'm personally in
> > desperate need for, but would definitely implement it if it was
> > available -- much more than a quota template.
>
> Yes, the above scenario indeed is an interesting use case. Part of the
> issue is that with the addition of the "extra specs" part of the
> instance type, the instance type no longer represents just the dedicated
> resources that the a single instance of that type consumes, but also a
> free-form set of "capabilities" that the instance has -- GPU, SSD, etc.
>
> The trick really is going to be about quantifying what those free-form
> qualitative "tags" like GPU actually represent when it comes to the
> consumption of resources in Nova. As it stands now, quota management has
> no real way of differentiating one CPU unit from another. I imagine that
> one solution to this would be to attach a "weighting factor" to each
> [...]

We use the per-project flavors to somewhat manage this use case. There are
a set of default flavors that every project can see and use and then the
more exotic flavors are private and shared with projects as needed.  The
other addition we did is to add a few additional quota resources, for
example local-gigabytes to manage type/quantity of local instance storage.

Would love to see additional work with regards to quota management and
enforcement. Particularly within private clouds, the current quota system
doesn't allow for much dynamic growth.  I think enhancements to the quota
system to allow for something akin to "spot instances" would be really
useful. Quotas would enforce how much resources a project is guaranteed,
but projects could elastically grow beyond their quotas if the rest of the
cloud was under utilized because other projects were not using all their
guaranteed resources.  At the point in which a project that had been
under-utilizing their quota needs to schedule new resources, if the
scheduler finds the cloud is full it would "reap" resources in a FIFO
manner from any projects which were in excess of their guaranteed quota.
Thus freeing up enough resources for the incoming request.

Just some thoughts I've had recently.

Nate