[Openstack-operators] Getting Metrics from OpenStack APIs

Adrian Smith adrian at 17od.com
Thu Sep 19 11:24:05 UTC 2013

Hi,

Is there any way to extract timing metrics from the Nova, Neutron,
Cinder, etc APIs?

What I'm after is something similar to the Swift metrics reported via
StatsD [1]. What's nice about StatsD is that you get useful timing
data for each metric like min, max, avg, count, and 90th percentile.
I'd like to get this same level of information from all the OpenStack
APIs.

When working on Java projects I've used Codahale Metrics [2] to get
the same type of information.

I know Ceilometer has some metric data but it's not down to the API level [3].

Adrian

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/admin_guide.html#reporting-metrics-to-statsd
[2] http://metrics.codahale.com/
[3] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/measurements.html