[Openstack-operators] Fwd: Ceph bock storage and Openstack Cinder Scheduler issue

Gavin netmatters at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 10:02:20 UTC 2013

Hi there,

I'm hoping that someone can possibly shed some light on an issue that
we are experiencing
with the way that Cinder is scheduling Ceph volumes in our environment.

We are running cinder-volume on each of our compute nodes, and they
are all configured to make use of our Ceph cluster.

As far as we can tell the Ceph cluster is working as it should,
however the problem we are having is that each and every Ceph volume
gets attached to only one of the Compute nodes.

This is not ideal as it will create a bottle-neck on the one host.

>From what I have read, the default Cinder scheduler should pick the
cinder-volume node with the most available space, but since all
compute nodes should report the same, as per the space available in
the Ceph volume pool, how is this meant to work then ?

We have also tried to implement the Cinder chance scheduler in the
hope that Cinder will randomly pick another storage node, but this did
not make any difference.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue or similar ?

Is there perhaps a way that we can round-robin the volume attachments ?

Openstack version: Grizzly using Ubuntu LTS and Cloud PPA.

Ceph version: Cuttlefish from Ceph PPA.

Apologies for the cross-post, if you get this twice as this email was
first sent to the Ceph Users mailing list.

Thanks in advance,
Gavin