[Openstack-operators] Strange memory usage

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Wed Oct 16 16:20:07 UTC 2013

Does "top" reveal a single process using a large amount of swap?

You can sort by "swap" in top by pressing capital O and then capital P as
described here<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/479953/how-to-find-out-which-processes-are-swapping-in-linux>.
That link also links to this
page<http://northernmost.org/blog/find-out-what-is-using-your-swap/>which
has a small bash script that might help reveal the usage.

It's possible these methods won't provide a correct or accurate answer, but
they'd only take a few minutes to try :)

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Samuel Winchenbach <swinchen at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't think it is anything running on the VMs.  We have three nodes.
>  The two nodes that the experience the problem are also running the
> l3-agent.  Perhaps that could be the culprit?
>

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Damian <avghacker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is the same application run across all of the VMs?  A common symptom
>> usually stems from apps that don't behave properly  and have a lot of
>> frequent writes.  If possible you should spin up a blank compute node and
>> see if the symptoms are similar.
>>
>> On Oct 15, 2013, at 11:43 AM, Samuel Winchenbach <swinchen at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a 16 process/64GB RAM compute node running Grizzly with some odd
>> memory usage behavior.  The node is currently running 17 lightly used VMs.
>>
>> root at test1:~/scripts# free -m
>>              total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>> Mem:         64429      48742      15687          0          0      28479
>> -/+ buffers/cache:      20263      44166
>> Swap:         4093       4026         67
>>
>> As you can see I have over 15GB free (44 if you remove cached memory!)
>>  yet the swap space is almost completely full.
>>
>> Any idea what might be going on?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sam

Joe Topjian
Systems Architect
Cybera Inc.

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.