[Openstack-operators] [Grizzly] Multiple l3-agent hosts, single network.

Darragh O'Reilly dara2002-openstack at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 1 21:05:45 UTC 2013

Sam,

I wrote a blog post about this a while back http://techbackground.blogspot.ie/2013/06/path-mtu-discovery-and-gre.html

Basically the GRE tunnel between the node with the instance and the node with the quantum router is reducing the overall path MTU, and the ICMP error sent back to the sender requesting the packet size to be reduced is being blocked or ignored.

Just today I have been looking at the Linux 3.5 kernel and OVS 1.11.0, and the behaviour seems to have changed - now there is IP fragementation happening between the nodes instead.

Re, Darragh.