[Openstack-operators] FYI: Desire/intention to increase min required libvirt to 0.9.11 in Icehouse

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Nov 22 18:10:34 UTC 2013

Currently the Nova libvirt driver declares that it wants to have a libvirt
install version >= 0.9.6

One of the things we're doing in libvirt is to split the python binding
out of the main libvirt codebase, uploading it to PyPI and allowing it
to build against multiple versions of libvirt. We are only able todo
this for libvirt versions 0.9.11 or newer.

We'd like to have Nova using libvirt-python off PyPI, and would also
like to remove some cruft from the Nova code relating to old libvirt
versions. In addition none of the automating testing done as part of
the dev/release process runs on a distro with such an old libvirt,
so these codepaths aren't strongly validated.

Thus I have proposed that we increase the min required libvirt version
to 0.9.11

To see how/what this is likely to impact we put together a table of
common distro platforms for OpenStack and their min versions

   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LibvirtDistroSupportMatrix

The only distro listed there that lacks libvirt 0.9.11 is the
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS release. We believe that anyone using OpenStack
on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS will have the Cloud Archive repository enabled
which includs much newer libvirt. So don't believe there's any
compat problem here.

If you are using OpenStack Nova + libvirt driver on a distro that
is not listed in that wiki page and are likely to want to use the
Icehouse release without first upgrading your distro, please say
so now. If you have other distros to add feel free to update the
wiki page above.

See also

  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-November/019767.html

Regards,