[Openstack-operators] resizing an instance

john at millican.us john at millican.us
Tue May 21 22:23:17 UTC 2013

On 5/21/2013 5:35 PM, pborghard at choopa.com wrote:
> Try adding this in nova.conf, it worked for me in a single node setup:
>
> --allow_resize_to_same_host=true
> --scheduler_default_filters=AllHostsFilter
>
> You will most likely need to restart nova-compute and nova-scheduler,
> perhaps more.
>
> Peter Borghard
>
> On Tue, 21 May 2013 14:25:45 -0700, Ryan Lane <rlane at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Juan José Pavlik Salles
>> <jjpavlik at gmail.com
>>> wrote:
>>> I'm not sure about your deployment, but i noticed that when i try to
>>> resize a vm nova also tries to move the vm to another compute-node, so
> if
>>> you don't have a shared storage for the VMs this is not possible
> (unless
>>> your compute-node can ssh to the other compute-node ofcourse). I found
> in
>>> my logs thigs like "*ssh root at node2 mkdir -p
>>> /var/lib/nova/instances/instances_dir"* when trying to resize a VM.
>>> Tomorrow i'll trying resizing with shared storage and i'll let you
> know.
>>>
>> Yes. This is the weirdest behavior. Why in the world is it necessary to
>> move the instance to another compute node just to do a resize? It
> requires
>> ssh between instances, makes the process *much* slower and also makes it
>> way more error prone. I don't get it. This seems like a really
> convoluted
>> way of handling resizes.
>>
>> Is there some really great reasoning behind this?
>>
>> - Ryan

Thank You all for the responses.  This is a very small environment
running only a few instances with a single controller node, single
network node, and single compute node.  There are plenty of resources
remaining to complete this operation on the compute node though even if
old and new need to be running at the same time.
I will try the
--allow_resize_to_same_host=true
--scheduler_default_filters=AllHostsFilter
settings later tonight or tomorrow.

JohnM