[Openstack-operators] /var/lib/nova/instances fs filled up corrupting my Linux instances

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Mar 13 22:10:15 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Joe Topjian <joe.topjian at cybera.ca> wrote:

> So using live migration isn't common?

Block migration (only available in grizzly, so not totally relevant
here) explicitly doesn't want shared storage. So I guess it depends
what release you're running and what kind of migration is being used.

However, I've seen exactly two reports of people using shared NFS
storage for instances in the time this code has existed, so that's the
data point I'm using for how common it is. I would note again that the
image cache manager is off by default in folsom because we know that's
not a good data point and we're being conservative.

My take on this is that its up to operators to test and file bugs when
they find them... We're not deliberately creating bugs, but it is very
hard for us to predict how people have this code deployed given the
many permutations that are available.

Michael