[Openstack-operators] HA configuration in OpenStack

Morris, Adam Adam.Morris at providence.org
Mon Jun 3 18:44:44 UTC 2013

Greetings,

>We want to implement a  production HA OpenStack environment based on Grizzly release .
>We went over the "Introduction to OpenStack High Availability" guide
>(http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-ha/content/ch-intro.html) and we have few questions:

I hadn't seen that before, and have a few issues with what I have seen so far.  This is ONE approach to HA for OpenStack, this is not the only possible approach.
I'm not going to claim that I know what is best for anyone, or any specific set of circumstances.
However, I took a different approach for an OpenStack Swift cluster and so my answers will reflect my experiences.

> 1. Does Pacemaker is the preferred tool to base OpenStack HA solution on ?

No.  If you are experienced with Pacemaker then it is an option, and possibly a good one.
What you are doing and what you need to provide redundancy for will determine what is a good solution.
I do not think that there is "A" preferred tool, but I haven't seen that specific question asked.  At the Havana Summit there was a talk that I saw which stated that
Corosync/pacemaker was a good way to do HA, but that is IMHO just an opinion.

> 2. Are there any alternatives for Pacemaker ?

I'm using a combination of keepalived, ha-proxy and mysql/galera to provide an HA swift cluster.  As I am not currently running Nova I don't have any need (yet) for an HA message queue.

> 3. Will Pacemaker be used as official HA solution in Havana as well ?

I wasn't aware that there was an official HA solution.  If there is, what project has decided that this is THE solution?

>4. Is the guide mentioned above can be used in continue to the basic Grizzly installation guide or any additional steps should be performed before ?
>5. Does the guide assume 2 controller nodes, meaning Pacemaker cluster will be installed on  2 controller nodes to support HA ?
>6. Is there a possibility to configure HA for the Network Node ? If yes , can you point us to any relevant references.

I'm afraid that I can't answer any of these questions at the moment, but I hope that this is at least some help.

Adam