[Openstack-operators] Quick type : find the instance directory by instance id

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Mon Jul 15 13:49:47 UTC 2013

Hi Michael,

When doing a Folsom to Grizzly upgrade, are previous directory names
preserved and "grandfathered" in? Or do they need migrated to the UUID
naming?

As well, is there anywhere left in Grizzly where the instance-00000000
naming is still in effect?

Thanks,
Joe

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Razique Mahroua <
> razique.mahroua at nuage-and-co.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hey guys,
>> many asked me for that, here is the small sql query :
>>
>> select concat("/var/lib/nova/instance/instance-00000",conv(id, 10,
>> 16),"/") as instance_path,power_state,vm_state,display_name from instances
>> where deleted=0 and host="vs11" order by id
>>

>> It'll give you the according directory :)
>>

> Unfortunately this wont work with grizzly and later, which instance UUIDs
> are preferred for directory names instead of ids (for instances created
> after you upgrade). This change happened because the code assumed that the
> instance name is unique, which isn't always true. UUIDs on the other hand
> are always unique.
>
> Sorry about that.
>
> Michael

Joe Topjian
Systems Architect
Cybera Inc.

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.