[Openstack-operators] Setting up openstack to use 2 pools of compute nodes on essex?

Zach Easterbrook fishlikehexagon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 20:05:45 UTC 2013

Hi there, I'm an intern at a tech company and we're beginning to use
openstack for a project within my team. Right now we have a small rack with
7 servers- one of these is set up as the controller node with glance /
keystone / horizon / nova stuff, etc., The other 6 servers are very basic
and just have the nova-api, nova-cert, nova-compute, and nova-network
packages installed.

So you may have noticed we're on essex for now..we tried getting folsom to
work but there were some hiccups.

Does anyone know how we could separate our compute nodes into two different
pools and then be able to deploy a VM to one of the pools? i.e, we'd put
three nodes into pool1 and 3 into pool2, then from the CLI / web interface
we'd be able to select pool1 as the target of deployment.

If anyone has any ideas let me know, it'd be appreciated. If I'm on the
wrong track letting me know about that would also be appreciated.

Regards.