[Openstack-operators] upgrade instance

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Mon Jan 14 14:53:47 UTC 2013

OpenStack allows you to resize running instances to a different flavor
using the "nova resize" command.

http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/openstack-compute/admin/content/nova_cli_resize.html

However, your cloud has to be configured to support migration for this to
work properly:

http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-migrations.html

In particular, this requires that the nova account can ssh without a
password (i.e. using public-key authentication) from one compute host to
another, so that the VM image files can be copied over from one host to
another. This is because when you do a "resize", the instance can end up
being scheduled to another compute host.

Lorin

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Peter L. Borghard <pborghard at choopa.com>wrote:

> Try to snapshot an instance and relaunch the instance with a new flavor.
>  If you're using ephemeral storage this won't be included in the snapshot
> though, not sure if there is a formal workaround for that.
>

> On 01/14/2013 06:34 AM, Nux! wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can't for the life of me find how to upgrade an instance's RAM or/and
>> vCPU. Any pointers please?
>> I'm on Folsom.

Lorin Hochstein
Lead Architect - Cloud Services