[Openstack-operators] A concept feature named 'scheduling live migration'

Yuan, Ye A ye.a.yuan at intel.com
Mon Jan 7 08:01:45 UTC 2013

Hi all,
There is a feature in my mind just as below:
In VMware, admin can use maintenance mode to set a host to entering maintenance mode, in which the host does not allow you to deploy or power on a virtual machine until all running virtual machines are powered down or migrated to different hosts.
So, if there is a feature that enable scheduler while live migration rather than use destination hostname argument in shell command 'nova live-migration <instance-uuid> <hostname>', OpenStack can implement maintenance mode too. In other words, operator can migrate instance without specific destination hostname.
If anyone has some suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

Best wishes,
Yale Yuan