[Openstack-operators] Neutron crashed hard

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Thu Dec 19 05:36:50 UTC 2013

Hi Jay,

What version of OVS did you deploy? There's a bad bug/behavior in OVS 1.04
> that can result in circular routes in the GRE mesh, which we saw entirely
> take down an entire deployment zone with tenant traffic swamping the bonded
> NIC that was housing the GRE overlay network. Upgrading to OVS 1.10 and
> then 1.11 solved that issue along with some scripting...

OVS 1.10 is available in the Ubuntu havana repo. I'm using the Raring 3.8
kernel available in the standard 12.04 repo. The standard 12.04 repo also
includes OVS 1.9 kernel module to compile with the 3.8 kernel.

So, long story short: OVS 1.10 with 1.9 kernel module.

> Are you using a multi-plexed neutron server (workers config option > 1)?

I haven't explicitly set this option as I didn't know it existed. Do you
have a reference for this option? I did a quick scan/grep of the neutron
config files and didn't see a reference to workers.

Thanks,
Joe