[Openstack-operators] Reference architecture for medium sized environment

Mitch Anderson mitch at metauser.net
Mon Aug 19 20:14:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Joe Topjian <joe.topjian at cybera.ca> wrote:

> If you can afford it, look at the r720xd. It's a monster in terms of how
> much storage and RAM it can support. You can purchase a "lightly"
> configured one and upgrade later. For example, purchase it with two
> internal 2.5" drives for the OS and four 3.5" drives for storage (ceph or
> whatever you decide to go with). It can handle an addition eight 3.5"
> drives for later expansion

I thought that was what was great about the R515's(2x 2.5" flex drive bays
and 12x 3.5" External Hot Swap)... they carry the same drive counts as the
R720xd's but.. online run ~$2300 cheaper when configured similarly.  Had
read that DreamHost uses them for their Ceph Cluster as well... figured
that was the reason.

Thanks much for the replies!