[Openstack-operators] [OpenStack-Operators][Neutron] Config options

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Fri Aug 9 02:39:17 UTC 2013

Hi John:

I don't think OpenStack supports an external DHCP server, because there's
no mechanism for OpenStack to determine which IP addresses have been
assigned to the instances. You could configure the OVS plugin in flat mode
for each of the two physical networks, but you wouldn't know what the IP
addresses were of the instances after they booted.

Lorin

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM, John Griffith
<john.griffith at solidfire.com>wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
>
> I have a specific use case that I'm trying to use in OpenStack.
>
> My Compute Node has two public Nics (one for data/iscsi (10G) and one for
> general public net access (1G)), both networks have their own DHCP server.
>  Each compute node also has an additional 10G network for OpenSack
> management.
>
> Here's what I've been trying to get working:
> * assign both public networks to the instances on boot
> * utilize the corporate DHCP server to handle IP assignment and config for
> both of those networks on the instance.
>
> I have not been able to get this to work and was wondering if any Neutron
> folks (or anybody else for that matter) had any tips on how to configure
> this?
>
> I'm using KVM/Libvirt with openvswitch, but I'm willing to change things
> around if needed to make this work.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Lorin Hochstein