[Openstack-operators] ZFS and OpenStack

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Thu Apr 18 22:27:23 UTC 2013

Hi Jaren,

I didn't want to hijack the NFS thread, so I started a new one.

Are you using deduplication and/or compression with ZFS and your instances?
If so, what kind of results are you seeing?

For those not at the summit or missed this morning's sessions, Cloudscaling
gave a really interesting block storage session. They're using ZFS on Linux
(previously OpenSolaris) with their own Cinder driver. They're able to
utilize native-ZFS features like snapshotting for volume snapshots and then
turn around and send those snapshots to Swift for archiving.

They plan on releasing their driver but are not sure when. The main reason
is due to their recent switch to Linux and want to ensure the driver is
stable.

(If anyone else was at the session and the above is not entirely correct,
please correct me).

Joe

--
Joe Topjian
Systems Administrator

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.