[Openstack-operators] basics of live-migration ..

Salman Toor salman.toor at it.uu.se
Wed Apr 17 23:13:45 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have a minimal setup of two machines just for testing the live migration.

I can start instances on both of the machines without problem. The network is based on FlatDHCPManager.

Can someone please give some feed back on my following queries...

1 - Can I use Qemu for the live migration? Actually in the guide only KVMLibvirt and XenServer examples are given and I am using Qemu

2 - In the guide
http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-migrations.html
It said

Update the libvirt configurations. Modify /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf:

before : #listen_tls = 0
after : listen_tls = 0

before : #listen_tcp = 1
after : listen_tcp = 1

add: auth_tcp = "none"

Modify /etc/default/libvirt-bin

before :libvirtd_opts=" -d"
after :libvirtd_opts=" -d -l"

Restart libvirt. After executing the command, ensure that libvirt is succesfully restarted.

$ service libvirt-bin restart
$ ps -ef | grep libvirt

1
root 1145 1 0 Nov27 ? 00:00:03 /usr/sbin/libvirtd -d -l
I have modified libvirtd.conf but I cannot find libvirt-bin... I am using fedora-17. My libvirtd is running without -d and -l

3 - What are the correct what to include -d and -l while using fedora-17

 port 16509 and 49152 to 49261 are also open on each node.

The problem is I didn't get any error message (I think .... )

[root at openstack-controller openstack]# nova-manage service describe_resource openstack-controller.my.pp
HOST                              PROJECT     cpu mem(mb)     hdd
openstack-controller.my.pp(total)                         1    1003      15
openstack-controller.my.pp(used_now)                      0     628       3
openstack-controller.my.pp(used_max)                      0       0       0

[root at openstack-controller openstack]# nova-manage service describe_resource openstack-compute1.my.pp
HOST                              PROJECT     cpu mem(mb)     hdd
openstack-compute1.my.pp(total)                         1    1003      15
openstack-compute1.my.pp(used_now)                      1     493       3
openstack-compute1.my.pp(used_max)                      1     512       0
openstack-compute1.my.pp 8439d730212d4aad8f3357468162ee8b       1     512       0

[openstack at openstack-controller ~]$ nova live-migration 93bde07b-8e74-43ee-80b5-c04b57f9c3e6 openstack-controller.my.pp
[openstack at openstack-controller ~]$

But not effect ...

I have also used

live_migration_flag=VIR_MIGRATE_UNDEFINE_SOURCE,VIR_MIGRATE_PEER2PEER,VIR_MIGRATE_LIVE
image_cache_manager_interval=0

compute.log and scheduler.log are attached with the mail.

Thanks in Advance.

Salman Toor, PhD
salman.toor at it.uu.se