[Openstack-operators] Adding a Physical Network Interface to an Instance

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Wed Apr 10 02:13:29 UTC 2013

Steven:

I've never tried this, but assuming you are using nova-network, I think
it's just a matter of creating a second Linux bridge for that second NIC,
and then passing the --bridge flag when you create the second network using
nova-manage:

1. Manually create a new Linux bridge on the compute host
2. Add the second physical NIC to the bridge
3. When you use  thenova-manage to create a second network for an existing
project, add the --bridge flag

So, if your new bridge is br2, the example from <
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/using-multi-nics.html>
would just be modified to do:

$ nova-manage network create
--fixed_range_v4=20.20.10.0/24--num_networks=1 --network_size=256
--label=second-net
--project=$your-project  --bridge=br2

Take care,

Lorin

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Steven Barnabas <sbarnabas at frontporch.com>wrote:

>  Is there any way to add a physical network interface to an instance?  My
> compute node has multiple Interfaces and I would like to add one as a
> monitoring interface to my Windows instance.  I have read about the
> Multinic feature in openstack, but this will only add an additional Virtual
> interface.  I cannot find any documentation for physical interfaces.  Is
> this even possible?
>
>  Thank you.
>

>  Steven Barnabas
> Network Engineer