[Openstack-operators] nova networking woes

dyocum at redhat.com dyocum at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 21:05:30 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I've run into some networking problems and I don't know where to go from
here.

On one host machine, I can ssh into the all (2) floating public IPs that
the VMs have been assigned.

On one host machine, I can't ssh or ping any (again, 2) of the public
IPs that the VMs have been assigned.

On yet another host machine, I can ssh into 1 VM but not the other 2.

I'm using flatDHCP with multi-host=T.  The diagram of my layout looks
very much like this diagram:

http://unchainyourbrain.com/images/stories/programming/ha-net.jpg

which comes from this article:

http://unchainyourbrain.com/openstack/13-networking-in-nova

Here's my nova.conf from my controller node (RHEL 6.3):

bindir=/usr/bin
connection_type=libvirt
debug=true
default_project=osop
firewall_driver=nova.virt.libvirt.firewall.IptablesFirewallDriver
glance_api_servers=my-controller.some.tld.com:9292
lock_path=/var/lib/nova/tmp
logdir=/var/log/nova
my_ip = 10.4.59.6
network_manager=nova.network.manager.FlatDHCPManager
root_helper=sudo nova-rootwrap
state_path=/var/lib/nova
sql_connection=mysql://nova:nova@my-controller.some.tld.com/nova
rpc_backend=nova.rpc.impl_qpid
qpid_hostname=my-controller.some.tld.com
qpid_port=5672
quota_floating_ips=120
quota_instances=120
quota_ram=151200
auth_strategy=keystone
vpn_client_template=/usr/share/nova/client.ovpn.template
credentials_template=/usr/share/nova/novarc.template
novncproxy_base_url=http://my-controller.some.tld.com:6080/vnc_auto.html
novncproxy_host = 0.0.0.0
novncproxy_port = 6080
vnc_enabled=true
vncserver_listen=127.0.0.1
vncserver_proxyclient_address=127.0.0.1
dhcpbridge=$bindir/nova-dhcpbridge
dhcpbridge_flagfile=/etc/nova/nova.conf
public_interface=eth4
auto_assign_floating_ip=true
default_floating_pool=osop-pub
dhcp_domain=osop-local
fixed_range=192.168.59.0/24
flat_interface=eth5
flat_network_bridge=osop-virtbr
flat_network_dns=8.8.4.4
floating_range=209.123.123.0/24
force_dhcp_release=true
multi_host=true
network_host=10.4.59.6
network_size=256
num_networks=1
injected_network_template=/usr/share/nova/interfaces.template
libvirt_inject_partition=-1
libvirt_nonblocking=true
libvirt_type=kvm
libvirt_xml_template=/usr/share/nova/libvirt.xml.template
remove_unused_base_images=true
iscsi_helper=tgtadm
iscsi_ip_address=my-controller.some.tld.com

routing tables, iptable rules, and arp caches all look essentially the
same for all the systems and yet I can't ssh into some VMs.

I'm at a loss.  I hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Yocum