[Openstack-operators] Upgrading Essex->Folsom on Ubuntu 12.04

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Sun Sep 30 16:57:00 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I'm looking to move to Folsom early next week using the Ubuntu Cloud
Archive packages.  Has any one here done this with a live system yet?
I don't see much info on the package based transition.  I'm still
pre-production so I can do the optimistic thing and add the ppa and
dist-upgrade.  Any advise on order of operation or prep work would be
welcome (obviously I will be backing up the databases and such).

I have a couple nova-volume servers, 60ish nova-compute nodes (doing
multi node network as well), and a head node running keystone, glance,
horizon, queueing and database etc... no swift at this point.

My plan absent better advice is:
make sure backups are up to date
upgrade the head node where all the databases live
upgrade volume servers and make sure the transition to cinder
upgrade compute nodes
test-cleanup-detangle

-Jon