[Openstack-operators] Precise, qemu, and network connectivity loss

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Sun Sep 23 18:18:45 UTC 2012

Hello,

I apologize for starting a new thread -- I don't have the original to reply
to.

Regarding this discussion:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/operators/18197

I believe we are seeing this issue as well, but more correctly described
here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/dev/14696

We're seeing instances drop off the network. The logs show dhclient trying
to renew the instance's address but ignoring dnsmasq's response at renewal.
Eventually dhclient gives up and the IP is lost.

After reading both threads and corresponding bug reports, it sounds like
the core issue is with qemu. Soren has created the following PPA which
should fix the problem:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-virt/+archive/kvm-network-hang/

Has anyone tried using this PPA and can confirm whether it resolves the
problem?

Thanks,
Joe

--
Joe Topjian
Systems Administrator

www.cybera.ca

Big data is coming to Canada. Join the welcome wagon.
*Cyber Summit 2012*
October 1-3, Banff
www.cybera.ca/summit2012

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.