[Openstack-operators] Manually nuking a misbehaving instance

Kiall Mac Innes kiall at managedit.ie
Wed Sep 19 07:52:19 UTC 2012

As Gabe mentions, If your running Folsom, use the `nova reset-state`
command.

Otherwise - On Diablo/Essex, I've used SQL to reset the 3x instance state
columns manually to power_state=1, task_state=NULL, vm_state='active' and
then just used `nova delete` to kill it.

As with the Folsom command, this requires that all services are up and
running, and whatever caused it to fail initially has been resolved.

99% of the time the failures are transient and it will succeed the second
time.

Thanks,
Kiall