[Openstack-operators] nova networking woes

yocum at redhat.com yocum at redhat.com
Tue Sep 18 14:57:59 UTC 2012

Hi Derek,

Moments after I hit "send" I figured it out.  This is a bug in libvirt
and has been addressed in Fedora and libvirt, but not in RHELv6.3, yet.

When the libvirt "default" network is started it can mess up the routing
table on the system.  Removing the virbr0 bridge device and removing the
default.xml file from /var/lib/libvirt/network and
/etc/libvirt/qemu/network/autostart resolves the issue and I can ping
and ssh into all the VMs, now.

Also, recall that the VMs don't actually get a public, floating IP when
they are assigned one - only iptable rules are constructed to forward
public traffic from the public NIC to the internal VM private IP, so I
wouldn't actually see the public IP on any of the VMs.

Cheers!
Dan

--
Dan Yocum