[Openstack-operators] Launching new instances failing despite free resources

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Fri Sep 7 01:09:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Lorin Hochstein
<lorin at nimbisservices.com> wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2012, at 9:18 AM, Jonathan Proulx <jon at jonproulx.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Jonathan Proulx <jon at jonproulx.com> wrote:

> I tell a lie, there are all trying to run on the same compute node and
> in this case it has in sufficient memory to run the instance, so it
> shouldn't try to do so.  here are my scheduler options:
>
> --scheduler_available_filters=nova.scheduler.filters.standard_filters
> --scheduler_default_filters=AvailabilityZoneFilter,RamFilter,CoreFilter,ComputeFilter
> --least_cost_functions=nova.scheduler.least_cost.compute_fill_first_cost_fn
> --compute_fill_first_cost_fn_weight=1.0
>
> My intention (and what it seems to have been doing) is filling nodes
> based on RAM capacity rather than spreading as the default is.  I do
> believe it shouldn't try and run instances requiring 2G of ram when
> there are only 600M free.

> By default, Essex tries to over provision based on memory. Try setting:
> --ram_allocation_ratio=1
>
> See
> http://docs.openstack.org/essex/openstack-compute/admin/content/scheduler-filters.html#ramfilter
> for more details (including why the over provisioning behavior is actually
> broken in Essex).

Ah had actually seen those, but missed putting it in the config
(oops).  Good news is that bug fix is back ported into the latest
ubuntu package (as of sept 3).  Bad news after chasing my problem
around all day that isn't really my problem...I actually ran out of
fixed addresses, thought I'd defined a /16 but actually defined a /24
oops.

> I can't seem to figure out how to map from id in the compute_nodes
> table to host name or IP though there must be a way,
> hypervisor_hostname seems most likely but that is all NULL, any
> pointers there
>

> Oooh, I'm pretty sure there's a way to do this, but don't remember offhand.
> Does "nova show <id>" give you this info?

That gives me info a bout instances but not compute-nodes, there has
to be a way to do this because it is done :)  Guess me & the source
need to have a little quite time to talk this over...

Thanks,
-Jon