[Openstack-operators] Launching new instances failing despite free resources

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Thu Sep 6 13:18:58 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Jonathan Proulx <jon at jonproulx.com> wrote:
> running Essex (as packaged) on Ubuntu 12.04 launching new instances
> has stopped working. They almost imediately enter Error Spawning state
> which is consistent with my experience of resource starvation in the
> cluster or scheduling errors.  Most recently I was /var/lib/nova on
> one of the compute nodes filled but the schedule kept trying to run
> new instances there (which is it's own issue, but I fixed that for me
> simply by expanding that partition).  Though in that case they were
> assigned to that node and then failing, in this case there is no
> compute node associated with the failed instance.

I tell a lie, there are all trying to run on the same compute node and
in this case it has in sufficient memory to run the instance, so it
shouldn't try to do so.  here are my scheduler options:

--scheduler_available_filters=nova.scheduler.filters.standard_filters
--scheduler_default_filters=AvailabilityZoneFilter,RamFilter,CoreFilter,ComputeFilter
--least_cost_functions=nova.scheduler.least_cost.compute_fill_first_cost_fn
--compute_fill_first_cost_fn_weight=1.0

My intention (and what it seems to have been doing) is filling nodes
based on RAM capacity rather than spreading as the default is.  I do
believe it shouldn't try and run instances requiring 2G of ram when
there are only 600M free.

I can't seem to figure out how to map from id in the compute_nodes
table to host name or IP though there must be a way,
hypervisor_hostname seems most likely but that is all NULL, any
pointers there