[Openstack-operators] Problem launching instance, Kernel panic… (Scientific Linux)

Salman Toor salman.toor at it.uu.se
Fri Oct 19 11:46:02 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Struggling with booting an instance on compute node.

I  am trying to boot a Scientific linux image but get "kernel panic" while booting the image. On status it shows instance "Active" and "Running".

I couldn't find any logs in the compute file. one get some last lines in the VNC web console.

I am using qemu with libvirtd.

The strange thing is that I can boot the image with qemu commandline tool on the same host without any problem

# qemu-system-x86_64 -k 'sv' cernvm-basic-2.6.0-4-1-x86.vmdk

I have 3 questions.

1 - Please suggest a better logging way as in compute I am not getting any error message?

2 - What should I do to check what is going wrong in the system?

3 - While uploading the image using "glance", I have tried following

disk_formate=vmdk
or
disk_formate=vdi

both works fine. Where

container_formate=bare
in both cases.

Which one I should really set for the disk_formate?

also there is one disk_formate vmk. What is this for?

Thanks in advance.

Regards..
Salman.