[Openstack-operators] Working of nova-network and nova-compute, basic questions

Matt Joyce matt.joyce at cloudscaling.com
Fri Oct 12 03:55:20 UTC 2012

> - Do I need to have nova-api on each compute node? I guess yes.

You might want it on another node for HA but it's not at all necessary.

> - What is good practice to run compute node? I mean do I need nova-volume,
> nova-cert and nova-scheduler on each compute node?

You only need nova-compute for ec2 usage on each node.  nova-volume is
needed if you intend to create volumes on those nodes.

https://github.com/cloudscaling/tarkin  has some simple tests.

Tempest I hear can do more?

> - Do I need to create a bridge on the new compute node, when I don't want
> to run nova-network on that node? I think bridge is only required by the
> nova-network? But than I get confused with how the network will work? I
> mean all the traffic of the VMs will go from the node running nova-network?
> I guess this is not correct right?

Depends on how your networking is set up.  But usually a bridge is created
for each virtual interface of your instances.  nova-compute will do that
for you.

> If all the traffic from VMs will route through the node running
> nova-network then should I run nova-network on each compute node as well?
> Or what is the correct way?

depends on your networking configuration.
Thanks in advance.