[Openstack-operators] no VM "really" up after complete hardware reboot

Christian Parpart trapni at gmail.com
Sat May 26 00:00:34 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Andrew Glen-Young <
andrew.glen-young at canonical.com> wrote:

> On Thu 24-05-2012 10:57 ›, Christian Parpart wrote:
> > On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Diego Parrilla Santamaría <
> > diego.parrilla.santamaria at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > You have two interesting parameters you can use to automatically launch
> > > the images after reboot:
> > >
> > > resume_guests_state_on_host_boot
> > > start_guests_on_host_boot
> > >

> > Yep, I first thought it might be something like this, too, however, the
> > dashboard actually pretends that they're up.
> > but nothing is running. The `nova list` output even says that they're
> > running, too, but they aren't :)
> > So I then tried to push the "reboot" button in the dashboard, and since
> > then they're in infinite "restarting" state.
>
> The running status may be a result of the 'reboot' definition in the
> compute API.
>
> The VM state is first set to active and then the VM is told to reboot.
> If the VM fails to come up, the database will have the VM marked as
> active even if it really is not.
>

> nova/compute/api.py:
>

>    def reboot(self, context, instance, reboot_type):
>        """Reboot the given instance."""
>        state = {'SOFT': task_states.REBOOTING,
>                 'HARD': task_states.REBOOTING_HARD}[reboot_type]
>        self.update(context,
>                    instance,
>                    vm_state=vm_states.ACTIVE,
>                    task_state=state)
>        self._cast_compute_message('reboot_instance', context, instance,
>                params={'reboot_type': reboot_type})
>

> To get the system into a good state, I have needed to terminate the
> instances. The termination throws an exception on the compute nodes, but
> the VMs are no longer marked as running.

Hey,

and this means, that it is a bug in Nova Compute.
Trying to follow your hint, to (fake) terminate, to reset the state, did
not work,
as it is now also in infinite Termination state.

Am I too rude to my install, or is it that Nova is not really as production
ready as the internet showed me.

Best regards,
Christian.