[Openstack-operators] nova-network in all compute nodes?????

Christian Parpart trapni at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:00:34 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Sergio Ariel de la Campa Saiz <
sacampa at gmv.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have been reading the conversation between Lorin and Christian about
> nova-network HA, and I have a question that maybe one of them can answer
> me... or maybe any member of this group :-) :-)
>
> This is my environment:
>
> 2 ubuntu servers, essex and VLAN networking:
> - 1 controller with nova-network, glance, keystone, nova-api,
> nova-scheduler but NOT nova-compute
> - 1 node: nova-compute only
>
> In this configuration all my VM are going to be launched in the node since
> there is no nova-compute running in my controller. When I try to launch a
> VM appears a problem whith my network. I think that is because there is no
> nova-network installed in the node. Bridge and VLAN interfaces are created
> in the controller but they are not created in the node.
>
> My question is: it is necessary to install nova-network in all compute
> nodes??
>
> Thanks a lot.

Hey Sergio,

it is possible to either have a dedicated nova-network node
(multi_host=False) or the other mode,
have nova-network running on every compute node (nova-compute).

While the latter is more HA-friendly, it chose the first, since the latter
will also require
to have your public IP network available on every compute node and I (in my
setup) just don't.

Whatever you chose, you'll need to take care of some decisions when writing
nova.conf and when actually populating networks via nova-manage:

*single nova-network node* (may still have more, and HA'd via keepalived in
active/passive mode, ye know):

    # /etc/nova/nova.conf
    # line below is only needed when you want to HA your single
nova-network node (default: False)!:
    send_arp_for_ha=True
    # this one defaults to False anyways, but I added and documented it for
clarity:
    multi_node=False
    # the following is need to SNAT your outgoing compute traffic to the
nova-network node's public IP
    routing_source_ip=$your_nova_networks_public_ip

    nova-manage network create *--multi_host=F* --vlan=$VID
--label=your-net --fixed_cidr=10.10.49.0/24 --project_id=$TENANT_ID

*multi nova-network* mode (meaning: one nova-network on same host as
nova-compute):
    # /etc/nova/nova.conf
    multi_node=True
    enabled_apis=ec2,osapi_compute,osapi_volume,metadata

    nova-manage network create --multi_host=T --vlan=$VID --label=your-net
--fixed_cidr=10.10.49.0/24 --project_id=$TENANT_ID

I hope this helps.

Also check /var/log/nova/nova-*.log

So long,
Christian Parpart.