[Openstack-operators] A couple of questions regarding Nova

Gerrit Tamboer gerrit at gerr1t.nl
Tue Jan 31 09:26:36 UTC 2012

Hi Armando,

We are working on a custom implementation for nova-ha. It
is going to be a PHP daemon which decides whether a compute-node is down by
ping results of a combination of the node itself and the instances running
on it.

The algorithm which decides the appriopriate actions is done, now
we are working on how to start an instance on another node.

This (in my
view) can be done with the following steps;

1. Start the instance in
virsh
 * Add the NWfilter by the XML file
 * Add the instance information
by the (qemu) XML file
 * Start the instance
 2. Update IPtables
 * Add
the standard instance firewall rules
 * Add the extra firewall rules
provided by the instance's security group
 3. Add floating IP's
 * Add the
instance's floating IP's with 'ip addr add'
 * Add the IPtables rules to
forward the IP to the instance
 * Arping the floating IP's (?)
 4. Update
the nova database
 * Make sure the controller knows that the instance is
running on a different compute node by updating the instances table

These
steps should be enough to bring an instance up on another node, or am I
missing something?

The first step is actually quite easy if your running
shared storage, the only thing we need to make sure is that the libvirt xml
files are also on the shared storage space to make sure other nodes can add
the XML files.

Step 2 and 3 is scriptable, allthough it would be nice if
there is any way to trigger the nova-api to rebuild the nova-networking for
an instance. I have tried rebooting an instance but that does not trigger
it.
 Anyone has any idea if this is possible?

Thanks!

ps. Armando,
when we are done and successfully implemented our patch, I will leave a
note on the blueprint with our findings.
---
Met vriendelijke
groet,
Gerrit Tamboer

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:12:01 +0000, Armando