[Openstack-operators] [KEYSTONE] Keystone Monitored ( and NewRelic ) on Essex

Alejandro Comisario alejandro.comisario at mercadolibre.com
Mon Dec 3 20:01:52 UTC 2012

Hi everyone.

We have a production Keystone (Essex 2012.1.3) pool composed of 10 servers
reading to the same database ( running MySQL Galera Cluster ).
We have other Openstack part of the infrastructure like swift monitored
over NewRelic ( python client )

The thing is that we are trying to monitor keystone ( we want to know the
overall RPM and ResponseTime of the entire pool ) and we are trying to do
that with NewRelic.
We are decorating the function "__call__" on the class "Application" on
"keystone.common.wsgi" since every Keystone service inherits this class to
link URLS, the servers appears in newRelic but we seen response times of
20.000 ms are a little bit higher ( when we know the response time are
200ms ) and few rpm per server (100 vs 400).

Few questions :

#1 Is ok to decorate this class ? is that class the main endpoint of each
keystone request to capture all api calls ?
#2 Dows anyone has any experience in monitoring kesytone with NewRelic ?
#3 In case you are monitoring this metrics, what do you use to effectively
measure the total pool RPM's and ResponseTimes ?

Waiting for advices !
Cheers !
*
*