[Openstack-operators] Reducing ext4/qcow2 snapshot size

Samuel Winchenbach swinchen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:47:44 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I launched a large (100 GB) VM and made the changes I wanted
(installed software, created users, etc...)  and made a snapshot.
Now I would like to launch VMs from that snapshot with a smaller disk
size, but no mater what flavor I select it always creates a 100GB
image.

Is there a way to reduce the ext4 partition size inside the qcow2 disk
image?   It might involve creating a new image file and cloning over
the original image?  If so what tools do you use for the cloning?

Thanks,
Sam