[Openstack-operators] Confused by user management

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Tue Aug 14 16:36:30 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Lorin Hochstein
<lorin at nimbisservices.com> wrote:

> All management of users, tenants and service endpoints should be done using
> the "keystone" client. Don't use "nova-manage user *", those commands
> predate keystone and are now obsolete.

I do think you will still need 'nova-manage project quota '  though
creating the users and tenants through keystone.   If that's not
current info I'd love to know the "right way"

But, presuming that's still current:

to show quotas:

root at nimbus-0:~# nova-manage project quota 98333a1a28e746fa8c629c83a818ad57
metadata_items: 128
volumes: 10
gigabytes: 1000
ram: 6291456
security_group_rules: 20
instances: 1024
security_groups: 10
injected_file_content_bytes: 10240
floating_ips: 10
injected_files: 5
cores: 2048

To change these values you append --key and --value flags to the above
command, so to increase tig's quota of floating IPs from 10 to 20:

root at nimbus-0:~# nova-manage project quota
98333a1a28e746fa8c629c83a818ad57 --key floating_ips --value 20
metadata_items: 128
volumes: 10
gigabytes: 1000
ram: 6291456
security_group_rules: 20
instances: 1024
security_groups: 10
injected_file_content_bytes: 10240
floating_ips: 20
injected_files: 5
cores: 2048

Confusingly nova-manage project quota will silently accept any trash
at the end and report the default quotas. This is what happens if you
enter the project/tenant name rather than ID, it won't complain it
will just lie....